UK-based stalwart YMC is collaborating with global sportswear brand Umbro to enhance its Spring Summer 2022 collection. The YMC X Umbro collection is a rugby-inspired collection that invigorates and stylizes rugby apparel.
The YMC x Umbro Spring 2022 collection is driven by YMC Creative Director Fraser Moss’ love of the sport of rugby. The collection consists of a 13-piece clothing line and was launched on both brands’ official e-commerce site on May 26, 2022.
Learn more about the new YMC x Umbro Summer Spring 2022 collection
YMC aka You Must Create was founded by Jimmy Collins and Fraser Moss in 1995, and was originally meant to create workwear and military clothing, but their inspirations now lie in a wider range, including the arts , music, punk, sportswear and DIY attitudes. .
The upcoming collection is inspired by activewear and includes shorts, jerseys, pants and jackets. The collection is constructed from traditional fabrics with modern design techniques including aloha prints, mismatched stripes and graphic badges.
The YMC website presents the collaboration,
“Inspired by the heritage, passion and flair of rugby, YMC is delighted to announce the launch of this brand new exclusive collection in collaboration with global sportswear brand Umbro. Fraser Moss, Creative Director of YMC, s immersed in his own upbringing and the zeal of rugby fans around the world to develop this 13-piece capsule collection.”
In a press release issued by YMC, Creative Director Freaser Moss talks about the upcoming collaboration and his inspiration behind the collection,
“As a child growing up in Wales in the 70s, there was no escaping the fury of rugby, mainly because we were good at it – arguably the best. The passion is still true today, if not success. It’s our national sport – a game for everyone, not just the rights holders. We live and breathe it obsessively. And when our players translate that into an emotional fervor, we call it ‘hwyl’. There was only one choice of inspiration for me – the game played with the egg-shaped ball.”
The collection includes-
- Cotton Track Top Blue, which can be had for £160 (around $202) in sizes from S to XL.
- Warm Up Track Pants Navy, which can be had for £150 (about $190) in sizes from S to XL.
- Cotton Track Top Green, which can be had for £160 (about $202) in sizes from S to CL.
- Striped Refs Jacket Green, which can be had for £195 (around $246) in sizes ranging from S to XL.
- Warm Up Jacket Blue, which can be had for £185 (about $234) in sizes from S to XL.
- Cotton Warm Up Shorts Blue, which can be had for £125 (around $158) in sizes from S to XL.
- Henley Short Sleeve Rugby Jersey Navy Ecru, which can be had for £100 (about $126) in sizes ranging from S to L.
- Warm Up Track Pants Tan, which can be had for £150 (about $190) in sizes S to XL.
- Aloha Print Double Jersey Rugby Shirt Green, which can be had for £155 (about $196) in sizes ranging from S to XL.
- 60s Patchwork Crew Jersey Shirt Navy, which can be had for £120 (about $152) in sizes S and XL.
The collection also references Harold Humphreys, the motto of the founder of Umbro, “look smart, play smart”.
The entire collection covers clothing on and off the pitch. The track jackets have been designed in a 70s-inspired makeover with a comfortable boyish style. The track jacket features Letterman pockets, a funnel neck and a loose fit.
The spring green jacket is buttoned up and gives a varsity look. Aloha prints and patchwork details elevate it from a public school uniform for a tropical summer look.
From May 26, 2022, the complete collection will be available online on both brands’ official e-commerce sites.